The life and times of a newbie blogger, golden gopher, and chocolate enthusiast as she takes on Walt Disney World and reality.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

President's Day Weekend

The last few days have been pretty busy not only for me, but for Disney World and doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon! For Walt Disney World, this upcoming weekend is the Princess Half Marathon Weekend and it's probably going to be a zoo around here. Then the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival starts on March 5th and the rest of the month is peak spring break time. Things are picking up for me too!

As I clocked out on Friday night, one of my coordinators handed me a new training schedule. I welcomed the papers with a confused look as she explained that I am being deployed to the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival! This means that I'll be trained in at a quick service location specifically for Flower and Garden and primarily work there, in Epcot, until the end of my program. I'm a little bummed to be leaving all of the great people I've met at Cosmic Ray's and the Magic Kingdom in general, but I'm also pretty excited to get to experience orientation at another park and better understand how Disney's festivals really work. I start training next week!


At work on both Friday and Saturday, I had to close and they actually trusted me enough to close specific bays! Usually when I have closed, I've been asked to take out the trash, stock the freezers, sweep the floors, and basically hang around until we're totally closed. At Cosmic Ray's, each bay closes at a different time, so if you close a bay before the restaurant as a whole closes, you get to go home "early"! So, instead of getting done at 2:15am on Friday and Saturday, I was able to clock out before 12:30am! My Sunday shift was 9 hours long, but that meant I got an hour long break and I didn't have to close!


Yesterday was also 9 hours, but I was greeter, so I was able to hang out with guests all day. I got out early enough yesterday that I was able to watch Celebrate the Magic (for the first time) and the beloved Wishes fireworks show. Celebrate the Magic was much more amazing than I ever imagined it to be! If you ever find yourself in the Magic Kingdom, stick around for Celebrate the Magic and, of course, Wishes. They're some of my favorite things to do/see at Disney!


This morning, my roommate, Denise, and I woke up bright and early to catch a bus to Magic Kingdom. Denise has never been at the park right when it opens! It's quite the experience. A few citizens of Main Street USA greet you from the train station and welcome you with song and dance (typical, right?) while Mickey and his friends ride in on the train just in time to count down! It's pretty exciting and it's great because the park is pretty empty for a lot of the morning, so getting on rides is a breeze!

Phil Holmes!
Before we got in the park, though, I spotted a famous face. He may not be a household name, but around here, he's pretty high up! Phil Holmes, pictured above, is the Vice President of the Magic Kingdom! (Yes, he looked right at me when I took the picture...)


Today we rode plenty of rides (Peter Pan, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain twice, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, PhilharMagic, Winnie the Pooh), met Buzz & Gaston, and spent some time in Gaston's Tavern. Buzz was great and we were lucky enough to see him interact with some of his adorable little fans. They were soooo excited! Gaston is always such a flirt. He's been perfectly himself every time I've met him. He's a hoot! I also ate the largest cinnamon roll I've ever seen when we were at Gaston's Tavern.


It's also worth noting that I was able to get a second, back up name tag with my hometown on it! So this is a shout out to good old Cloquet!


I hope you're all surviving up north and, as always, please feel free to live vicariously through my sunny, 75 degree life right now. It's pretty wonderful! And it's almost Wednesday, so hang in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment